In an effort to give you, the teacher, more access to educational videos found on YouTube that will support your curriculum, we have given you the ability to approve videos for use in the classroom with your students. But as Uncle Ben once said to Peter Parker, “With great power comes great responsibility.” When you encounter a video that you would like to use please ask yourself these questions:
- Does it violate copyright laws? (blatant infringement includes full movies or soundtracks posted to YouTube) [for further information, please see below]
- Does this video support my curriculum?
- Is the video short? (a best practice is 2-5 minutes)
- Have you previewed the video first?
- Will the video be used to deepen student understanding of current curriculum objectives?
When you are viewing a video (on our network), you may encounter one of two blue boxes underneath the video itself:
Once you, the teacher, approves a video for use in the Johnston County Schools educational Google domain, your name will be recorded next to the video that you approved. Please note that continued infringement of approving non-educational videos will result in your right to approve videos revoked.
Types of work subjected to copyright:
- Audiovisual works, such as TV shows, movies, and online videos
- Sound recordings and musical compositions
- Written works, such as lectures, articles, books, and musical compositions
- Visual works, such as paintings, posters, and advertisements
- Video games and computer software
- Dramatic works, such as plays and musicals
Ideas, facts, and processes are not subject to copyright. In order to be eligible for copyright protection, a work must be both creative and fixed in a tangible medium. Names and titles are not, by themselves, subject to copyright.
In addition, we encourage you to read more about YouTube’s copyright, fair use, and creative commons.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com OR you may submit a JCS YouTube video review via this form.